As humans, we empathize, we feel and we react. We see someone or something harmed - we react. We see somebody in distress - we react. We react by helping, by responding, by doing something.
But of late, I find my youtube ads flooded with micro lending and donation seeking ads with really graphic story telling - videos of children in visible distress, exaggerated effect etc. While I have nothing against the reality of it, the repetitions concern me and my reaction to these repetitions concern me more.
I helped out through one ad but the next popped up. This time am forced to click on “SKIP”. Then another pops up, and its SKIP again. That action is an inherent conflict for me. I am looking at somebody in trouble and am consciously choosing to ignore it.
Is this action not against our human psyche? Will these repeated responses make us immune to others’ suffering, I wonder! Will our brain be conditioned to Skipping it in real life, in instances of real need, I wonder! Should these repetitions be allowed, I wonder!
No comments:
Post a Comment